LOW FODMAP SOUP WITH CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed, roughly sliced
- 800 mL (27 ounces) of chicken stock*
- 1 tspn of olive oil
- 1/2 a bunch of spring onions (green tops only), chopped
- 1 bunch of chives, chopped finely
- 2 carrots, cut in half and chop roughly
- 1/2 of a stick of celery, finely sliced
- 200g (7 ounces) of green beans, topped and tailed, cut in half
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves or rocket, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon pesto*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken breasts in a large saucepan, adding enough stock to just cover the chicken. Poach for 10 minutes until the chicken is just cooked (white meat throughout). Drain (reserve the liquid), and chop up the meat into bite-sized chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the chives and spring onions. Cook these gently for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the celery, carrot and green beans.
- Add the chicken to the saucepan. Pass the reserved stock through a sieve and simmer it separately in a saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Add the reduced stock and spinach or rocket leaves to the soup and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto* and add salt and pepper to taste before serving.